Frequently asked questions for anything and everything related to shellfish!
What do I do with my crab or lobster once I'm home?
Keep live crab and lobster in the fridge until you are ready to cook them. Do not put them in fresh water – it will kill them. If you aren’t cooking them right away, open the bag for air circulation and cover them with a damp towel or damp newspaper. Kept cold and damp, they can live out of the water for 24 hours. Cooked crab and lobster will keep for 3 days refrigerated.
How do I clean a cooked crab?
- Remove the broad back shell: Hold the base of the crab with one hand and its back shell with the other. Lift off the shell. This will remove most of the visera.
- Discard the top shell and remove the remaining visera in the chest cavity by sliding a finger or spoon down the centre. Remove the gills by sliding your finger along the base of them. Rinse the crab thoroughly under cool running water to wash away all remaining visera.
- Grasp the crab in both hands and break it in half. Separate the legs from each other leaving a portion of the body connected to each for easy handling.
- Crack the shell of each leg with a small meat mallet or nut cracker. or use kitchen shears to cut through the shell. Break back the shell to expose the meat. Remove the meat using the tip of a leg or a small pick or fork.
- To remove meat from claws. Break each from leg joint and crack. Break off small pincer by pulling it back and out. Use a pick to remove meat from shell.
How do I store clams?
Store clams in the fridge until you are ready to cook them. If you aren’t cooking them the day you buy them, take them out of the bag, put them in a shallow bowl, and cover them with a damp cloth. Kept cold and damp, clams will live in your fridge for 2 or 3 days.
How do I store mussels?
Store mussels in the fridge until you are ready to cook them. If you aren’t cooking them the day you buy them, take them out of the bag, put them in a shallow bowl, and cover them with a damp cloth. Kept cold and damp, mussels will live in your fridge for 2 or 3 days. You can scrub your mussels if you like, but we find that a thorough rinse with cold water usually gets them clean enough. De-bearding mussels weaken them, so wait until you are rinsing them to pull off the beards.
How do I shuck oysters?
Although it may seem intimidating, shucking oysters is simple once you know how. Here are two simple methods for shucking oysters. Remember to wear gloves, or keep a dish cloth wrapped around the hand that is holding the oyster.
Stab & Twist Method
- Hold the oyster with the hinge in the palm of your hand. The cup-side of the oyster should be down. Look for the crevice between the two shells and insert the knife
- Slide the blade along the top of the shell to sever the connecting muscle. Twist the knife along the edge until it can be pried apart. Remove the top shell
- To free the oyster from the cupped shell, slide the knife under the oyster meat and close the shell to cut the muscle
The Old Hinge Method
- With the cup-side of the oyster on the bottom, hold the wide end of the oyster in the palm of your hand. Insert your knife near the hinge and apply pressure to slide the knife through. The shells should pop open slightly
- After the hinge has been loosened, slide the knife along the top of the flat shell to sever the abductor muscle and remove the top shell
- Free the oyster from the cupped shell by sliding the knife under the oyster, as close to the shell as possible
How do I prepare frozen king crab legs?
Frozen King crab legs are already cooked. All you need to do is thaw and reheat them. Thaw them in the fridge overnight. To defrost them quickly, place them in a colander and run cool water over them. To heat king crab legs, steam, boil, or broil them for about 5 minutes.
Where do we ship to?
Currently we only ship to addresses within Canada to ensure freshness and timely delivery. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee same-day delivery outside of Canada due to potential customs delays.