These instructions are for a cooked crab and is to be done after cooling
- Remove the broad bock shell: Hold the base of the crab with one hand and its back shell with the other. thumbs at the center back. Uft off the shell.
- Remove and discard the viscera (the semi-liquid material in the body cavity) and the feathery gills.
- Rinse the crab thoroughly under cool. running water to wash away all loose material.
- Grasp the crab In both hands and break it In half. Separate the legs from each other. leaving a portion of the body connected to each for easy handling.
- Crack the shell of each leg with a small meat mallet or nut cracker. or use kitchen shears to cut through the shell. Break back the shell to expose the meat. Remove the meat using the tip of a leg or a small pick or fork.
- To remove meat from claws. break each from leg joint and crack as shown. Break off small pincer by pUlling it back and out. Use this 'pick' to remove meat from shell.